The Linnaeus Garden – a historic gem in central Uppsala
The Linnaeus Garden is an oasis hidden behind a planked fence on Svartbäcksgatan in central Uppsala. The botanic garden, with Carl Linnaeus’ professorial residence, exhibitions, café and shop is open from the beginning of May to the end of September.
The former home of Carl Linnaeus is now the Linnaeus Museum, managed by Uppsala University on behalf of the Swedish Linnaeus Society. The museum is open for pre-booked groups throughout the year.
The Linnaeus Garden and The Linnaeus Museum: opening hours
The garden and director’s lodge (Linnaeus Museum) are open:
- May: Tuesday–Sunday 11am–5pm
- June–August: Monday–Sunday 11am–5pm. Closed Midsummer Eve.
- September: Tuesday–Sunday 11am–5pm
The garden gates close at 8pm
In English at 11.30am and 2.30pm.
Guided tours in Swedish at 1.30pm and 3.30pm
The regular guided tours are included in the entrance fee and cannot be booked in advance.
The director's lodge is included when available. Audioguide to the museum is available in English.
The Linnaeus Garden: admission prices
During normal opening hours:
- Adults 100 SEK
- Senior citizens 65+ 80 SEK
- Students 80 SEK (Students at Uppsala University free of charge)
- Children (ages 0-17) free of charge
The admission price includes entry to the Linnaeus Museum. Different admission prices may apply for special exhibitions and events.
After 5 pm: free entry (all buildings are closed).
The Linnaean Gardens of Uppsala: annual pass
The annual card of the Linnaean Gardens of Uppsala gives free entry to the Tropical Greenhouse, Linnaeus Garden and Linnaeus’ Hammarby. It also give you a 50% discount on special tours.
The annual pass is valid for one calendar year and is on sale in our museum shops or at the Garden Office in The Botanical Garden (weekday daytime).
An annual pass costs 200 kr.
Free entrance to The Linnaean Gardens of Uppsala apply to:
- employees at Uppsala University
- students at Uppsala University
- members of Linnés vänner (friends of Linnaeus), our friends' organization
- members of The Swedish Linnaeus Society (The Linnaeus Garden and Linnaeus' Hammarby only)
- members of The Society of Linnaeus' Hammarby (The Linnaeus Garden and Linnaeus' Hammarby only)
- gold or silver members of Friends of Uppsala University
- members of Inter Nordic Guide Club (IGC), including the organization Uppsalaguiderna.
- employees at Uppsalas musee
- members of The Association of Swedish Museums
- holders of ICOM-card
- holders of Kulturarvskort get 50% off the admisson fee. The card is on sale in our shops. (Holders of the card for employees get free entrance.)
- Culture buddy groups have free admission in 2020 (more information for Cultural buddies)
Concessions apply to:
For visitors with a disability, senior citizens 65+, and visitors with pension benefits. You may need to present ID.
Disabled person (with donation)*: £17.05
Disabled person (without donation): £15.50
Senior (with donation)*: £17.05
Senior (without donation): £15.50
- Senior citizens 65+
- Students (Free antrance to students at Uppsala University)
- Kulturarvskort 50% recuction of entrance fee. Buy your member card in our museum shops. The card is valid at many museums in Sweden.
- Members of SJ Prio pays 80 SEK at the Linnaeus Garden and at Linnaeus' Hammarby