The Linnaean Gardens’ role includes exhibiting a well-cared for and clearly labelled plant collection that is documented in a globally accessible database. At Linnaeus’ Hammarby and the Linnaeus Garden, the plants are an important part of the historic value of the sites. The gardens are also places for inspiration and recreation: they are popular destinations for both Uppsala residents and visiting tourists.
In the Botanical Garden, plant are grown primarily to be used for research and education at the University, and for activities aimed at preschools and schools. The Garden also contributes to preserving biological diversity.
Read more about the mission of The Linnaean Gardens of Uppsala.
The gardens provide plant material (seeds, plants and plant parts) that is needed for research projects at various departments. Researchers can also grow their own research material, both outdoors and in a research glasshouse.
It is not just botanists who use the gardens – earwig catching, studies of hoverflies, and psychology research also occurs here.
Students in the Linnaean Gardens
About a thousand students from both Uppsala University and the Swedish Agricultural University visit The Botanical Garden each year as part of their courses. The students may be learning about botany, pharmacology, historically significant plants or ecology, with a view to becoming natural scientists, apothecaries, agronomists, foresters or landscape architects. The garden is also much frequented by schools and preschools.
Of course, you do not need to be studying to visit The Botanical Garden. Why not sunbathe, play boule, revise, or just sit under a tree and enjoy the view, scents, and sounds?
We run and develop the Botanical Garden
The Linnaean Gardens of Uppsala
The Botanical Garden is run by Uppsala University with economic contribution from Uppsala municipality. Together with Linnaeus’ Hammarby and the Linnaeus Garden it constitutes the Linnaean Gardens of Uppsala.
The Baroque Garden and Linneanum with the Orangery became listed historical buildings in 1935 and are administered by the National Property Board.