The Linnaean Gardens’ role includes exhibiting a well-cared for and clearly labelled plant collection that is documented in a globally accessible database. At Linnaeus’ Hammarby and the Linnaeus Garden, the plants are an important part of the historic value of the sites. The gardens are also places for inspiration and recreation: they are popular destinations for both Uppsala residents and visiting tourists.
In the Botanical Garden, plant are grown primarily to be used for research and education at the University, and for activities aimed at preschools and schools. The Garden also contributes to preserving biological diversity.
We run and develop Linnaeus' Hammarby
The Linnaean Gardens of Uppsala
Linnaeus’ Hammarby is run by Uppsala University with economic contribution from Uppsala municipality. Together with the Botanical Garden and the Linnaeus Garden it constitutes the Linnaean Gardens of Uppsala.
Hammarby was owned by Linnaeus’ descendants until 1879 when the estate was bought by the state. The main buildings and the surrounding park became a listed historical building in 1935 and are administered by the National Property Board.
In 2007, Hammarby and the surrounding agricultural land and forest became a cultural reserve. Pastures, meadows, kitchen garden and hop-garden are tended using traditional methods. The reserve is administered by the County Administrative Board of Uppsala. The reserve and nature trails are open throughout the year.